Saturday, January 23, 2010

Classes and excursions

Hey everyone, I know it's been a long time since I updated so here's another post for you!!

So I've been here for about 3 weeks now and am still having fun. Classes so far have been OK - I had to switch some of my classes, because the linguistics classes I signed up for were wayyyy too difficult. So now I'm in Spanish, Basic Math, Public Speaking, and Written Com. I LOVE all of my teachers so far, and even though I'm missing out on Huber for the first time in 5 semesters, I think I'll survive.

It's weird not being at UMW this semester, too. It's weird not being able to pop over to Erica's room or head over to Sylvia's house or drive down to spend the night with the girl. That's been especially hard since she just had surgery, but I think she's doing OK so far. Hopefully I can call her soon. I definitely miss being there with everyone, but I have enough to do here to keep me occupied. Johan and Nati (my host brother and his girlfriend) have been absolutely amazing. We went to a giant party in Palmares last Sunday - apparently every province has a giant party that lasts just over two weeks once a year, with concerts and a tope - traditional parade on horseback. I'm determined to see one of those before I leave! So we went to that, where I did NOT get sunburned because I'm psychotic about sunblock. It sucks because my face is breaking out like i'm 13 again, but if I have to choose between breaking out now and cancer and wrinkles later, I'm definitely thinking in the long term.

Today my host brother Johan and his girlfriend Nati and I went to Volcán Irazu, which was about an hour by car but was really pretty! I think I've figured out finally how to post pictures, so here are a few - it was gorgeous. There were cows just kind of chilling in the road on the way there, which was strange and kind of awesome. Also, there was a seriously entertaining raccoon-thing on the table in the entrance area, of course chilling under a sign that says DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS. Here are a few more pics:
From For Teh Internets


volcano:
From Costa Rica


From Costa Rica


The active volcano that's about 5km from the one we visited:
From Costa Rica


We also went to this old abandoned hospital, which wasn't very creepy because it was so sunny out. Maybe if I went back at night it would be weirder.

Johan and Nati:
From Costa Rica


From Costa Rica


From Costa Rica


From Costa Rica


Cows in the road!!!
From Costa Rica



I love Johan and Nati so much, and it really helps that they include me in so much - it's a lot of fun to hang out with people around my age (well, sort of - they're about 28ish I think). Then later Katie came over to hang out for a while, just sitting on the front patio area and hanging out. It's a lot of fun.

They tell us at UMW that there will be a 2 week 'honeymoon' phase where you think that your new country is SUPERAWESOME and are super hyped about it. Then, they say, there are another 2 weeks where you hate it and want to go back home and after that everything settles down again. However, I've been here for 3 weeks now and haven't had any problems so far. There have been a few things to adjust to - the strangest so far being no ketchup at the school cafeteria, showerheads that heat the water where it comes out (only one knob in the shower!), and eating mayo on salads. But everything has been OK so far, and my spanish is still holding up well. I'm very glad that I was already at a fairly advanced level before I came here, because otherwise I would have problems.

So that's about it.....though I just want to mention that right now my host mother is outside washing the parrots with a hose. Just sayin.
From Costa Rica



Also - LA QUINTA ESTACION IN 3 WEEKS. If you don't know who they are, shame on you.

------------

Hola a todos! Sé que no he escrito por mucho tiempo, pero aquí está algo para uds!

Hace 3 semanas que estoy aquí, y todavía me disfruto mucho. Clases hasta ahora me pasan bien - aunque tuve que cambiar unas clases porque las de linguísticas que tenía fueron demasiados avanzados. Por eso ahora tengo clases de español, Mathematica Básica, Oratoria, y Comunicación Escrita. Me encantan todos de mis profesores, y aunque no tenga clases con la Dra Huber por la primera vez en casi 3 años, creo que voy a sobrevivir.

Es raro no estar en UMW este semestre también. Es extraño no poder visitar con Erica o andar a la casa de Sylvia o andar en coche para pasar la noche con la novia. Esto especialmente me cae duro porque acaba de tener una operación, pero creo que está bien. Espero que la pueda llamar pronto. Extraño a todos, pero tengo mucho que hacer para ocuparme. Johan y Nati (mi hermano y su novia) han sido absolutamente increíbles. Fuimos a una gran fiesta en Palmares el fin de semana pasado - parece que todas las provincias en Costa Rica tengan una fiesta grande que dura más de 2 semanas, con conciertos y un tope, una desfile tradicionál con caballos. Quiero ver un tope antes de salir. Bueno, fuimos a Palmares, y NO me quemé del sol porque estoy neurotica con el bloqueador. Es puta madre porque mi piel tiene acne como si tuviera 13 años de nuevo, pero si tengo que elegir entre acne ahora y cancer mas tarde, pienso en el tarde.

Hoy fuimos (mi hermano aquí Johan, su novia Nati y yo) al Volcán Irazu, que tuvo como una hora en coche pero fue muy lindo. Creo que finalmente sé como poner fotos aquí, así aquí están unas. Fue lindísimo. Hubo vacas que andaban por la calle, que era raro. Y también hubo un animal muy chistoso encima de la mesa, y por supesto se quedó bajo de el letrero de no alimentar los animales. Y vea arriba para ver las fotos!! ^^^^^

Entonces fuimos a un hospital abandonado. No era muy espeluznante porque había tanto sol. Quizás me daría más miedo si regrese por la noche.

Me encantan Johan y Nati tanto, y me ayuda tanto que me inviten a pasar tiempo con ellos - es muy divertido pasar tiempo con personas de edad similar (pues, casi similar - tienen unos años más que yo). Más tarde, Katie vino a visitar por un rato, y sentamos afuera y pasamos tiempo hablando. Muy divertido.

Nos decimos en UMW que habrá un tiempo de 2 semanas de 'luna de miel' en que estará super emocionante sobre el estar allí, y entonces dicen que habrán dos semanas más en que extrañará su país, querrá regresar, etc, y después todo será normal. Pero hace 3 semanas que estoy aquí y estoy bien, no he tenido problemas. Han pasado unas cosas extraños - unos son que no hay ketchup en la escuela, que en la ducha el agua es calentado por el cabezal de la ducha. Y también comen mayonesa en las ensaladas. Pero todo me pasa bien, y mi español funciona bien, gracias a dios! Me siento aliviado que cuando llegué, ya sabía tanto español, porque si no supiera tanto español, tendría problemas.

Bueno, eso es todo....aunque quiero decirles que ahorita mi mamá aquí está bañando los loros afuara con la manguera.

Y LA QUINTA ESTACIÓN EN 3 SEMANAS. Si no sabe quiénes son, qué verguenza!!

No comments:

Post a Comment