Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'll translate this later. I'm feeling lazy just now.

FROM WED JAN 6 2010

I'm finally back at the house - I guess I should call it home, since this is where I'll be living for the next few months. I've had a busy few days, so I'll tell you guys all about it.

My mom and I got into San Jose at about 1030, and finally left the airport a little after 11 after getting our bags and going through customs. Janiva, the program director, picked us up and took us back to the house. Here are some pictures - my room and the second student room (currently empty) where my mom stayed. We weren't there for long though, because the next morning we had a bus adventure to go a couple hours north to the rainforest.

We got there OK, navigated the bus and taxi OK, and went to the Tirimbina lodge - it was wonderful. They were really helpful in organising activities. The first night we did the bat activity; there was a little lecture on bats and their conservation, and we saw the mist nets they use to catch them. Then a couple of the rangers brought in two of the bats that they had caught so far that night.....boy were they pissed. But it was cool to see them and touch them a little bit.

The next day we got up and went horseback riding, which I of course loved. It was very different from your typical riding tours here - no helmet or safety talks or anything; they just plopped us onto a couple of horses and took off. We were fording rivers and scrambling over rocks and knee-deep in mud....it was fun though. And thankfully there were two guides, so one of the guides and I could trot ahead a little faster while my mom and the second guide walked behind. We saw lottttts of cows, and herons, and spider monkeys.

That afternoon we did rafting, which was a lot of fun. It started raining halfway through, so I was glad that we were already wet. We saw a ton of birds, and even a couple of toucans. Then later that night we did ziplining, which turned out to be somewhat of a disaster. They had told us that it would be OK for my mom, who has a lot of trouble walking. However, turns out that there were tons of stairs and long hikes, so it wasn't so easy. But at least I had a good time.

We ended up taking private transportation back to Heredia, and hung out at the mall a little bit before coming back home. I needed a purse and a dictionary, so we bought both. Then back here for dinner, then bedtime.

My mom left today, which was kinda hard, but I think I'll be OK. The family here is really sweet. It's mostly the mother, Bernadita, who I interact with - she's home all of the time, whereas her son goes to classes and her husband works odd hours at the airport. Her son, Johan, is 29 (?) and really sweet. He's learning English, so maybe I can sneak some in to help him practise. Her husband is also very nice, though I don't see much of him - he works such long and odd hours at the airport that when he's home, he's sleeping most of the time.

So far the Spanish is working out really well; it's not nearly as bad as I feared. I can definitely communicate what I want to say, and understand probably 80% of everything going on - more if people are talking directly to me. So I'm definitely getting by, and I'm sure I'll be fluent inside of 3 weeks.

Anyways. I have to get up really early tomorrow, so I'm headed out - we're doing the Heredia tour, then a cooking class, and then I think Kristi and I are going to spend the afternoon and evening together tomorrow. It's so nice to have someone fun to hang out with, and I'm sad that she's only going to be here through next Saturday!! Then this weekend we have a volcano tour, an excursion into the mountains, and bungee jumping. Can we say HELLZ YES?

So I'll talk to you all later, I miss everyone! Send me emails and comments!!

<3

S

--------------------------

Finalmente estoy en la casa de nuevo - supongo que debo llarmarla 'home' porque voy a vivir aquí por 4 meses. He tenido unas días muy ocupados.

Mi madre y yo llegamos en San Jose como 1030pm, y finalmente salimos del aeropuerto acerca de las 11 después de recoger las maletas y ir por aduanas. Janiva, la directora, nos buscó y nos trajó a la casa. No nos quedamos por mucho tiempo porque la mañana siguente, salimos por bus para la selva.

El viaje nos pasó bien, y fuimos a la reserva Tirimbina en Saripiquí, y fue maravillosa. Los empleos allí fueron muy amables y nos ayudaron en organizar las actividades. La primera noche hicimos una actividad con los murciélagos, con una lección sobre ellos y vimos el red en lo que los cazan. Entonces unos de los guardas forestales trajeron dos murciélagos....y qué enojados estaban. Pero qué chiva verlos y tocarlos.

El día siguente, nos levantamos y cabalgamos, que por supesto me encantó. Fue muy diferente de los EEUU - no hubo cascos o discurso sobre la seguridad, solamente nos pusieron encima de los caballos y nos fuimos. Cruzamos ríos y encima de muchas piedras y lodo.....fue muy divertido. Y hubo dos guías, así pude andar adelante más rapidamente con mi guía mientras mi mamá andaba atrás. Vimos muchas vacas, y aves, y monos.

En la tarde hicimos rafting, que también fue muy divertido. Empezó a llover en la mitad del viaje, y me agradecí que ya estábamos mojados. Vimos muchos aves, hasta tucanes. Más tarde hicimos zipline, que resultó en ser un poco desastre. Nos dijimos que no sería dificil para mi mamá - para ella, es muy difícil andar. Y hubo un montón de escaleras y caminatas largas - no fue fácil. Pero a menos me disfruté.

Resulta que tuvimos transportación privada para Heredia, y quedamos un rato en el mall antes de regresar a casa. Necesité una bolsa y un diccionario, y compramos los dos. Entonces para acá para comer y dormir.

Mi madre se fue hoy, que era duro, pero creo que estaré bien. La familia aquí es muy amable. Generalmente mis interacciones son con la madre Bernadita - siempre está en casa, y su hijo y su esposo tienen trabajo. Johan, su hijo, tiene 29 años y está aprediendo inglés - tal vez puedo hablar un poco en inglés con él! Su esposo también es muy abable, pero no nos vemos mucho porque siempre trabaja horas raras en el aeropuerto y cuando está en casa, duerme mucho.

Hasta ahora mi español me sirve muy bien, y no es tan duro como temía. Puedo comunicar lo que quiero decir, y entiendo como 80% de lo que pasa, más si las personas me hablan directamente. Estoy segura que hablaré con fluidez dentro de unas semanas.

Bueno. Tengo que levantarme muy temprano, así me voy - vamos en un tour de Heredia, y entonces un clase de cocinar, y entonces Kristi y yo andamos juntas en la tarde y la noche. Me gusta mucho tener una chica con quien puedo pasar un rato, y me hace triste que solamente se quede aquí hasta el sábado! Y este fin de semana tenemos un tour del volcán Arenal, y caminar en las montañas, y bungee. Yayy!!

Buenos, les extraño mucho, y hablarme por email!!

<3

S

No comments:

Post a Comment